Date:      Thu, 15 May 2008 19:05:00 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does FBSD 7 support 802.11N cards?  G suggestions?

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 06:54:53AM -0500, Walter wrote:
> (Sorry Roland; re-sending after I noticed my reply went directly
> to you rather than the List.)
>=20
> Roland Smith wrote:
>=20
>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:23:44PM -0500, Walter wrote:
>> =20
>>> <>I'm trying to get a Broadcom-based wireless-N card running
>>> under FBSD 7. ...
>>=20
> > See Chapter 20 of the FreeBSD handbook, especially =A720.2.
>=20
> 20 is The Vinum Volume Manager=20
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.ht=
ml>.

I'm talking about "The Cutting Edge"=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

>> The problem is that a lot of wireless manufacturers have the habit of
>> changing wireless chipsets without changing model numbers. So a revision
>> X might work while revision Y won't.
>>=20
>> Try and look at the card. Sometimes the chipset is visible and you can
>> look for it in the manual pages. But often it is enclosed in a metal cov=
er.
>>=20
>> In my experience, asking shop clerks which chipset a card uses only
>> produces puzzled looks.
>>=20
>> Second best thing is to download the driver for the revision of the card
>> that you want to buy. Unpack the driver and read the .inf files. That
>> will probably yield the chipset type. If not, use strings(1) on the
>> drivers themselves.

> It's a crap shoot? =20

That's about the size of it.

> Yikes.=20

Indeed.

> I guess I'll just pick one and take
> my chances, but - no fault to FBSD - it appears to be a sorry
> state of affairs in the computer driver arena.=20

More and more chipsets are being supported on BSD, with OpenBSD leading
the way. But it remains difficult to see which chipset is used in a
card. Manufacturers hardly ever list it in their docs.

> I can guess
> the latest rev listed on the support web site is what I'll get
> when I buy the box?? (Maybe not, as I got a rev A router
> last December when the latest was rev B.)=20

Usually there is a sticker on the packaging that says "model FOO
rev. X". or something like that.

> Later I'll work
> on getting the driver downloaded and unpacked on my
> Windows machine (as my Mac won't process those .exe
> files).

You could try unzip. Some of those exe files are self-extracting ZIP ziles.

> Did I read that there's a way to use Windows drivers in FBSD 7?

Yes. It's called ndis(4). Only works on i386 architecture though, not amd64.

Do realize that you're sticking a piece of windows software of unknown
quality in your _kernel_.

Roland
--=20

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn