Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:31:50 -0800
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "x@suse.de" <x@suse.de>
Subject:   Re: viper330/hitachi751

rick hamell wrote:

> > I can get X up and runing. But at 1600x1200 I get a VERY jittery
> > display, with lots of transiet artifacts esp. during movement of
> > any display object. In addition, moving objects around is VERY jerky.
> >
> > Any ideas how to get this to settle down? Or should I just punt
> > to a different card?
>
>         You might want to change the screen size down a notch or two.
> What's happening is probally this. Diamond overclocks the video chips on
> all their products. By setting it that high I bet that you're just making
> it run so fast that the chip is overheating. If you pull the card out and
> touch the chip it'll be to hot to touch.
>

>                                         Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the heat on the chip when time
permits. Just fyi, I've tried different screen sizes via the
prev/next in xvidtune. All resolutions have some amount of jitter, etc.,
except the 1280x1024. Also, if I boot NT4.0 on the same box,
it handles 1600x1024 just fine.

Is there some way I could either duplicate the NT settings and/or
find a clock rate to use as an over-ride in the XF86Config file
that would work better?  Not that I know what I'm talking about here...

Thanks,
k.

--
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
I am very concerned that we may not hoist the flag and manage the care and