Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:18:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      garyh@agora.rdrop.com (Gary Hanson)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need GENERIC driver, boot floppy doesn't have it

Problem: The NCR SCSI driver (ncr0) isn't included in the boot.flp file,
either on 2.1-RELEASE or the 960303 snap. It's included in the GENERIC
kernel, but not the boot floppy. Is this a bug or a feature?

Attempted workaround: Since I needed the ncr driver, I built a kernel
including it on another machine (that doesn't have a ncr board.) I
mounted the boot floppy (mount, not mount -t msdos) and saw a single
file, kernel. Fine, the new kernel was smaller than the original, so
I blew away the original and copied the new kernel to the boot
floppy. The kernel loads, but does a panic: no init, so obviously
there's some magic I haven't yet figured out. I searched the archives
about custom boot floppies, but didn't find any useful info. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

  --Gary Hanson