Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:21:52 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: buildkernel - more

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 07:55:16PM +0000, Alastair Hogge wrote:
> [Sorry for starting this in a new thread, but I lost all my emails]
>
> Hello,
>
> In the last episode I had a helpful tip from someone (sorry can't remember
> there name :-( ). The tip was to make, make install the kernel from the
> kernel directory instead of make buildkernel from /usr/src (the usaul way
> right?).

I believe that was me. You're welcome. :)

> Well this tip did help me, I was able to build.install the kernel (
> thank you very much someon). This tip was fo systems that hadn't run
> make buildworld (?). I had already done the buildworld thing I just still
> got errors. Why?

I personally have only done custom kernels one of two ways:

1. The method I recommended. I use that on systems that I cannot cvsup
sources on until I compile a custom kernel (got some el cheapo 10/100
NICs not properly recognized by GENERIC kernel). Works without
buildworld.

2. As a normal part of building and installing a new world. I use
basically the method recommended in /usr/src/UPDATING:

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM
make installkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM
(reboot, possibly single user)
make installworld
mergemaster
(reboot)

I've never tried combining the two methods, as you seem to have tried. I
doubt that it's supposed to work.

HTH,

--
Greg White