Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 19:36:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, didier@omnix-net.com, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interface card to connect 64k..256k to connect to internet

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Jim Shankland wrote:

> dennis@etinc.com writes:
>
> > Also there exists the question:
> >
> > Since Saturn's are selling for about $12,000., is there still a market
> > for Mercedes or Porche..or even the Toyota Camry?
> >
> > For a 56kbs line thats going to be 10% utilized, you are
> > correct...perhaps the price isnt worth it. However, note that the
> > lowest end Freebsd router can be built for about $900. and is much
> > more functional and powerful and expandable than any of the above
> > mini-routers you mentioned.
>
> Hmm.  I assume you're not seriously claiming that the Livingston
> OR-HS, say, can only handle a 10%-loaded 56 Kb line.  But are you
> saying it can't handle a full T1, as it's advertised to be able to do?
>
> I'm not trying to bait anyone, by the way, just to elicit information.
> My question, more precisely framed, is this:
>
> Suppose I have a FreeBSD box, appropriately configured for my needs,
> and I want to interface it to a high-speed (well, up to T1) serial
> line.  I could:
>
> (1) buy a card from ET or SDL, and plunk it into the FreeBSD box; or
>
> (2) buy a low-end T1 router, and connect it via a crossover 10Base-T
> cable to its own Ethernet card in the FreeBSD box.  (Ought to be able
> to gang 2-4 of these low-end routers onto one Ethernet interface in the
> FreeBSD box, also.)
>
> In the past, one argument for option (1) has been that it was considerably
> cheaper.  This price difference is now much reduced, perhaps even
> eliminated if you consider the integrated-CSU models.  (And the
> Pipeline 130 gives you a BRI port you can use as a backup link.)
>
> So my question is:  what are the best arguments in favor of option (1)?
> Note that the question is not FreeBSD vs. no FreeBSD.  It's more
> nearly a choice between an "outboard" WAN interface, and one installed
> directly into the FreeBSD box.

The cost options still "cuts the mustard" so to speak, for the same
functionality as the FreeBSD box with a 'card' you'll find yourself
needing to spend more than just this Livingston router, aside from the
time issue of setting it up.

If you have the FreeBSD box already the difference is between the cost of one
et/sdl serial card and possibly a MUX. Against this there is the cost of the
Livingston box (is the MUX integral with this router?).

I beleive the Livingston routers I was looking at about 6 months ago
priced quite favourably, however in comparison to what, say, CISCO had to
offer for the same task it's a wonder these boxes are so cheap and I'd
like to know if they aren't cutting it a bit fine - or how cisco were
charging so much.

The SDL WANic has two ports capable of handling some silly transfer rates
like 12Mbp/s, quite frankly I don't know how well the cards will manage
this.. (okay I expect), But I doubt you will get this expandibility from
a Livingston box.

I can't speak for the Emerging Technologies cards, but I expect they are
equally (or better) specified.

As the difference in price is really fairly small anyway any high speed
serial card is likely to be a good enough performer. So as long as you
start out sensibly, and buy a decent MUX as well, unless your telephone
company provided you a V.35 interface or something... (sure sure) Then
you have a much better upgrade route than through a ready made router.

Another thing to watch out for is what protocol your provider will run to
you. Some isp's apparently won't do ppp over leased lines, but only HDLC,
if that's the case with your provider then the Livingston might be better
as I'm not sure about HDLC capabilty with the FreeBSD drivers for these
cards.

	Steve.

root@doctor-claw# ifconfig sr0
sr0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 194.207.3.10 --> 194.207.3.9 netmask 0xffffff00
root@doctor-claw# tcpblast 194.207.3.9 200
...<snipped some dots>...
200 KB in 769 msec  =  2130559.2 kbit/s

Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.
E: steve@visint.co.uk      M: +44 (0) 976 241 342
T: +44 (0) 117 973 0597    F: +44 (0) 117 923 8522