Date:        Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:13:32 +0400
From:      "Nick A. Leuta" <skynick@stu.lipetsk.su>
To:        "FreeBSD-Security" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PAM help needed

Hi!

Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Richard Jones wrote:

> > After walking through the FreeBSD sources I saw that:
> > 1. none of the first group applications (except: login) has the support
> > for PAM authentication (ifdefed).
>
> login is built with PAM by default. ftpd also has PAM support

The same needed in sshd, su, lock etc...

> > My questions are:
> > a. Is any of my assumptions/conclusions wrong?
> > b. Is there any work done on the subject to fix it?
> > c. How stable is PAM on FreeBSD?
> > d. Any known problems that you know from your experience?
> I do not know of any problems with PAM under FreeBSD.
> Seems that FreeBSD PAM library is taken without any
> significant modifications from Linux PAM 0.65 distribution.

Yes, it's true. But unlike FreeBSD, under Linux RH 6.x distribution all
applications like login, passwd, su, vlock, xdm, xlock, xscreensaver (in
/etc/pam.d also mentioned shutdown, xsaver...) using pam.

...Do FreeBSD's pam_* modules realize all known (auth, account, session,
password) "module-types"?

---

SkyNick