Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:57:17 -0600
From:      Lane <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do I see security logs without turning on sendmail?

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 16:36, Tuareg wrote:
> On 12/13/06, Lane <lane@joeandlane.com> wrote:
> > Tuareg,
> >
> > Post /etc/rc.conf from one of the servers that does what you want and
> > that should lead us to what mta is handling email.
>
> cat /etc/rc.conf
>
> ### Network daemon (miscellaneous) & NFS options: ###
> sendmail_enable="NONE"  # Run the sendmail daemon (or NO).
> cron_enable="YES"       # Run the periodic job daemon.
> portmap_enable="NO"     # Run the portmapper service (or NO).
> usbd_enable="NO"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> tcp_drop_synfin="YES"
> tcp_restrict_rst="YES"
> syslogd_enable="YES"            # Run syslog daemon (or NO).
> syslogd_flags="-s -s"           # Flags to syslogd (if enabled).
>
> > Also, please post a copy of
> >
> > ls -al /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> >
> > from that same working server, just in case there is a custom script
> > starting
> > the mta.
> >
> > lane
>
>  ls -al /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> total 10
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 23  2003 .
> drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Oct 30 18:06 ..
> -rwxr--r--  1 root  wheel  624 Jan 14  2003 squid.sh
>
> And that's all.
Tuareg,

Yours is a mystery.

Let's see the output of

tail -200 /var/log/maillog

from the working machine.

Clearly there is no mta being started on boot.  But I'm not familiar enough
with squid to say for sure that it is not the daemon in question.  It may be
that squid is configurable so that it could be delivering the log messages.

I'll make it and see what I can see.

In the mean time, if anyone else has some ready experience to say for certain
that this is probably what's happening, then jump right in.

lane