Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:06:10 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld for loading dynamic library changed in 3.0-RELEASE?

Alex Zepeda wrote:

> > so it's perfectly legitimate to have a libfoo.so.5-pizza-6.
>
> If this was true, then mico's configure script wouldn't properly detect
> shared libs. But it does, except on FreeBSD/ELF.
>
> > Now, if you have libfoo.so.5-pizza-6 and libfoo.so.5-sushi-3, how is
> > ld supposed to guess which one is the "greatest" value?
>
> I'm sure the a.out ld has code for this type of thing.  Why not emulate
> its behavior?

That's not the ELF way.

Lacking the availability of a more architecture neutral reference, I
suggest a trip through the System V Application Binary Interface (i.e.
SVR4, SVR4.2 ABI) for a good overview of ELF semantics.
Unix Press, ISBN 0-13-100439-5. Intel and SPARC supplements are also
available, but I don't have the ISBN numbers for them.

--
Kaleb