Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:56:42 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: status of current for alpha?

Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de> wrote:

> can someone tell me about the status of CURRENT/5.0 for alpha? Is it
> usable for a desktop machine already?

Yes.  Well, it depends what requirements you attach to a "desktop
machine".  I wouldn't hold my breath for KDE/GNOME/Mozilla to work
or even build.  However, I have been using 5.0-CURRENT for its
entire lifetime on my "desktop" alpha.  There were some rough times
during the first six months of this year, but since then it has
stabilized, at least for my configuration.

> Worth upgrading now?

That I can't judge.  I think -CURRENT right now is primarily for
early adopters and people who want to fix things.

> I wouldn't mind dealing with minor bugs as long as the system stays
> usable. I only have one alpha so I can only do work OR testing ;-), but
> wouldn't mind helping to squeeze out some minor problems.

There is a world of breakage waiting to be discovered and fixed in
the ports tree, both related to -CURRENT and related to alpha.