Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 01:23:40 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lcremean@tidalwave.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast IDE CDROM problems

On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 04:31:21PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
> > FWIW, I have a brand-new Toshiba 32X, running on a late-December -stable
> > kernel, and it works fine, though it's a bit pokey duriung the detection
> > stage at boot. Oh, and it doesn't produce that strange "phantom-slave"
> > problem that some people have reported (and that I had with my old Mitsumi
> > 2x); my suspicion of weirdness in the old Oak OTI-011 IDE chip may be right.
>
> Can you try the patch I applied to the -current ATAPI probe just
> recently to see if it cures the "phantom slave" detection?  I'm fairly
> sure I saw what you are describing with the ATAPI Zip.
>
> If it works on -stable, I'd like to bring it back.

Well, as I said, the Toshiba doesn't do it, the Mitsumi does...I could
pull out the Toshiba and test the Mitsumi, but I have to find it first. (it
disappeared into the sanctum known as My Brother's Room :/)

--
Lee C. -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet #watertower)
A! JW223 YWD+++^ri P&B++ SL+++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did