Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22328: new port -- print/ttf2pt1

The following reply was made to PR ports/22328; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: mi@aldan.algebra.com
To: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc: OKAZAKI Tetsurou <okazaki@be.to>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, babkin@bellatlantic.net,
	Mikhail Teterin <mi@privatelabs.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:04:48 -0400 (EDT)

 On 27 Oct, Mike Meyer wrote:
 = > PREFIX/bin/t1asm conflicts with t1asm installed by print/t1utils, doesn't it?
 =
 = I believe it does. On the other hand, it may be the same tool, being
 = used to finish the conversion. In which case, the correct solution
 = would be to cut t1asm from ttf2pt1, and add t1utils to the runtime
 = dependencies list.

 Interestingly, it is the same tool. The one, that comes with t1utils,
 though, is a newer version. Whereas the ttf2pt1's t1asm.c latest
 revision ends at

 	Revision 1.2  92/05/22  11:54:45  ilh

 The t1asm.c coming with t1utils has

 	* 1.5 and later versions contain changes by, and are maintained by,
 	* Eddie Kohler <eddietwo@lcs.mit.edu>.
 	*

 	Revision 1.4  92/07/10  10:53:09  ilh

 The last fix to it was done, apparently as

 	Version 1.20   22.Jun.2000

 	* t1asm: Fixed bug where `t1asm -a' would give a `warning: line length
  	 raised to 4' error message. Reported by Tom Kacvinsky <tjk@ams.org>.

 It is easy for me to just not install the "older" ttf2pt1's t1asm, but
 they appear to have diverged substantially from the common root since
 1992. I wonder, what the software author's (babkin@bellatlantic.net)
 can tell us :)

 	-mi

 P.S. Wow. Just 8 years, but the code's origins and versions feel like
 Tacitus' writings!