Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 11:25:02 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1-R ..fatal trap 12..HELP !

Anthony Hill
ahill@connect.com.au

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> > I have just upgraded from 2.0.5-R to 2.1-R, and have been suffering from
> > rather regular crashes since I have.
> >
> > The messages I get are :-
> >
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
> > fault address = 0xdfdffc8c
> > fault code supervisor read, page not present
> > instruction pointer 0x8:0xf0108095
>
> I've had similar crashes with 2.1.0-110595-SNAP... eg,
>
>   Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>   fault virtual address   = 0x1249b4
>   fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
>   instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x1249b4
>   code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			  = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>   processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>   current process         = 13 (mount)
>   interrupt mask          =
>   panic: page fault

What if anything have you done about it  ? - my system is unusable, if I
just boot up and start nothing other than the default preconfigured
daemons etc, the thing will freeze within a few hours - if I'm actually
doing stuff 1 hour is the record.

If no one can give me any ideas within a day or so I will go back to 2.0.5
which was working rather well for me. The only reason I upgraded was to get
into the new ports tree.....  Sigh

Anthony