Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 00:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, James Howard <howardjp@glue.umd.edu>
Subject:   Re: Anyone resolved "Missing operating system"

Liberally edited for legibility..

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

[cut] summary - what systems did not work...

> Can you be more specific?
>
> > The answer is two of them: Dell Latitude LM P133 circa 1997 and an LM M166MMX of
> > the same year.
> >
> > Note that the ONLY path that gave me any trouble at all is using a
> > FreeBSD parition only; the option that any sane person would be
> > talked out of by the warnings :)
>
> This option is in fact the best choice, if it works.  You waste a lot
> of space with a Microsoft partition table.  Here's a partition table
> from a Latitude CPi with two partitions:

Well I thought so too - If I wanted DOS I could run windows eh :)

> Disk name:      wd0                                    FDISK Partition Editor
> DISK Geometry:  789 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 12675285 sectors
>
>     Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype    Flags
>
>          0         63         62        -      6     unused        0
>         63    4192902    4192964    wd0s2      2        fat        6
>    4192965    8482320   12675284    wd0s1      3    freebsd      165    C
>   12675285      10395   12685679        -      6     unused        0
>
> Note the 63 sectors at the beginning.  One of them is the partition
> table, the other 62 are waste.  Also the 10395 (that's right, over 5
> MB) at the end.  You can't use this space.  With dedicated disks, you
> get the entire disk.

This in fact is the reason I wanted to do this. These are old systems with
pretty small disks.

How much you waste is a function of the geometry; On the LM P133:

Disk name:      Disk name:      wd0
DISK Geometry:  256 cyls/197 heads/63 sectors = 3177216 sectors

    Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype    Flags

         0         63         62               6     unused        0
        63    3177153    3177215    wd0s1      3    freebsd      165       C=

So I only lose 32K. It was worse on the other system which is why I tried the
dedicated partition.

> The problem with the Latitude is probably that the BIOS is broken, and
> that it expects to see a Microsoft partition table at the beginning of
> the disk.

I do not believe this to be the case, because I can install 3.4 and not 4.0. In
an earlier post I send sysinstall output for a dedicated partition on one of my
Latitudes running 3.4 and PAO. This is my "production" laptop; it works
flawlessly (excepting for operator error).

> On Wednesday, 12 July 2000 at 18:23:51 -0400, Damon Hammis wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, James Howard wrote:
[cut]

> >> Bah, sane is for boring people.
> >>
> >> In the past, I have had no difficulty using "dangerously dedicated."
>
> No, neither have I.  But some machines have problems, and it looks
> like Doug has one of them.

If the BIOS is "broken" it is broken in a way that 3.4 can handle. Maybe
something in 4.0 assumes more modern machines??

> > I've used dedicated disks on systems that ran multiple os' without a
> > problem.
>
> How do you do that?  You can't use dedicated disks with more than one
> OS.
<:(

_____
Douglas Denault