Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:59:02 +0100
From:      Volker Kindermann <freebsd@secspace.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems w NIC

> My NIC is found during boot-up and everything appears to be correct
> setup, except the darn thing won't work.

> ifconfig:
> dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>  inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>  inet6 fe80::208:a1ff:fe2c:28fa%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>  ether 00:08:a1:2c:28:fa
>  media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)

the media type is correctly recognized as 10baseT/UTP?

If yes, there may be a problem between freebsd and your new nic.

You said the machine in question is a dual boot machine? Which os OS
does it use? And the NIC works well with that other OS.

Could you try the following:
If some of your other machines runs the same OS as that with the NIC
working flawless, try to change the NICs of the two machines (I hope
it's not a onboard one).

If it's a onboard one try adding a second NIC to the machine and see if
that is working.

 -volker