Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:34:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        pjd@freebsd.org
Cc:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing disks via their serial numbers.

In message: <20060626080038.GA12511@garage.freebsd.pl>
            Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > I'm against until somebody have explained what the use is, and if
: > use is proven, it should be done with devfs device-on-demand(/cloning)
: > instead of g_label.
:
: I don't really care how we will make it visible for the user. This could
: be devd(8) using some tool (diskinfo(8)?) to fetch serial number and
: create a symlink to newly attached disk, but we need to have a general
: mechanism inside the kernel for getting such informations.

devd could do this.  We'd need to bring in Robert's geom publishes to
devctl patches, but that is doable.  The only snag, alas, is that this
won't be available very early in the boot process...

Warner