Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:20:49 +0100
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

> 1. Is it 'done' on BSD? The book gave me the idea that emacs is a real
> GNU thing, so much 'hallelujah' in it. I don't mind that, but wouldn't
> like to jump into learning it all, if it isn't really supported in
> BSD-circles. And I want to be politically correct of course :-)

Emacs is used on almost every UNIX there is, and a few other operating =

systems...

> 2. Which version should I use/learn/configure? "Most younger ... use
> Xemacs." I'm 39. Does the fact that I still occasionally use
> WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, because the ctrl and alt key-strokes [for
> notes, size e.g.] somehow come natural for me, suggest the non-X
> version?

No, there is no non-X version. emacs AND xemacs can both be used as a X11=
 =

program and as a normal text-program. The keys are the same. The diffrenc=
ens =

are minor.

The diffrence from the description in the xemacs port:
XEmacs has similar functionality to GNU Emacs. It uses a different =

display model, including support for Motif menu and scroll bars and the
ability to run as a widget inside other applications. Many people say
it looks nicer than GNU Emacs.

> A third, now I'm at it: Does the Windows version (it is on the CD with
> the book) really work? Would be nice to use at work maybe, once I got
> used to it or maybe fond of it.

Probably, there is versions that work. :-)