Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 10:27:21 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS crash with 2.1-stable

> >I was beating the snot out of my new pentium box building a distribution
> >when it crashed in the middle of the night.
> >panic: nfsreq nogrps
> >I've got the crash dump if it would help.
>
>    Not necessary. Something running as root did a setgroups(0,foo). Do you
> have an NFS mounted mailbox and are are running Smail? If so, update Smail
> to the current ports version and install the attached patch.

I *never* run anything that requires NFS locking unless something in our
build tree does.  This means I don't export mail disks to multiple boxes
which can write on it, and sendmail is the stock mailer I use (which
doesn't come into the picture on the affected machines).

I was running a 'make release' on a local disk which was setup to build
the distribution on an NFS mounted disk.  The box is running some
variant of -stable released after Nov. 1 + more recent patches brought
into the tree.  (Can't wait for the actual 2.1 release bits *grin*)

In any case, I'll patch my kernel with the supplied patch and see if it
makes a difference.

Thanks!

Nate