Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:58:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Cole <dacole@netcom.ca>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   status of dump/st0/EIO/EOM/variable block sizes issue?

I was just doing a few '(ufs)dump's from both remote solaris machines
and local freebsd volumes to compressing exabyte 2.5GB and 20GB
drives, and in both cases, the dumps aborted with something along the
theme of 'Input/Output error, restart dump?  (yes/no)'.

This is pretty spectacularily depressing.

Even more depressing is when I can send the same jobs to a Solaris
(2.6 at least) box and get a pleasing 'Insert next volume #1' prompt.

I understand the issue with incomplete blocks lying about the EOM on
variable block devices like compressing tape drives is somewhat
troubling, but how is Solaris doing it so well?

Though, in complete honesty, I've never had to try to restore from a
multi-volume variable block sized dump done to a solaris hosted tape
drive.  *shrug*  Is it as nightmarish as most other solaris issues?

Dave Cole (DC1110)                     |        dacole@netcom.ca
Systems Administrator                  |*       dacole@rik.net *
                                       |         office/~dacole/
Netcom Canada                          |* www.rik.net/~dacole/ *
905 King Street West, Toronto, M6K 3G9 |    phone - 416.341.5801
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Sol   |      fax - 416.341.5725