Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:19:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
To:        Michael Moss <mossmr@umdnj.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server Hardware Recommendations

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Michael Moss wrote:

> 1. Would like to run BSD 4.9 Release
> 2. Minimal Tweaking (do not want to tweak drivers etc)
> 3. RAID 2 or 5,  sought in this order (greatest to least)  SATA, SCSI,
> IDE
> 4. Dual processor a plus but not necessary

After a bum-motherboard issue, and some patches that /are/ now in 4.9-R,
my SuperMicro 6023P-8R server runs like a champ.  I haven't used the
zero-slot raid controller, but installed an Adaptec 2200s instead.

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/SUPERServer/SuperServer6023P-8R.htm

Dual Xeon processors, SCA disks, Ultra320, RAID, and no tweaking outside
of enabling SMP.  Everything else works with a GENERIC kernel.

I've now got 8 SM 5013G servers on the way, but none of'm will be using
any RAID, and only 3 of'm will run FreeBSD. (ick. windows. sigh.)

I HAVE encountered a problem with the 2200s when I tried to move my disk
array from the 2100s.  I haven't had time to readdress the issue, or
contact Adaptec support yet.

In a nutshell:

When the disks are powered up, I get:

Adaptec SCSI RAID BIOS V4.0-0 [Build 6003]
(c) 1998-2002 Adaptec, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

<<< Press <Ctrl><A> for Adaptec RAID Configuration Utility! >>>

Booting the Controller Kernel......
Fatal Error: Controller monitor failedController not started

<< Press any key to continue ... >>

With a /very/ long wait while it tries to boot the kernel.

When the disks are powered down or unpluged, it boots find and quickly.

---
david raistrick
drais@atlasta.net		http://www.expita.com/nomime.html