Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:59:20 +0100
From:      Steve Burton <steve@sliderule.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

Carl Morley wrote:

> See bottom of email for CLM's comments;

I've two mini-itx machines, one with FreeBSD 5.1 REL and I've had no
problems with the vr interface connected to a Cisco switch. I tried the
same chip some time ago (about 4.4 or 4.5) with the same switch and the
results were lousy. Mine are built in Morex Cubid 2699R cases which look
like this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/images/2699R.jpg

quite cool. They could be quieter as I opted for the fastest board which
has a fan on the cpu and two in the case.

The same people (www.mini-itx.com) also sell two models of silent PC's -
totally passive cooling.

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/images/tranquil1.jpg and
http://www.mini-itx.com/news/images/story0161a.jpg if noise is an issue.

The Cubid case comes with a riser and will take one PCI card though I
haven't tried fitting a one so I can't comment on what sizes will fit.
Actually, there is a review of the Sigma Designs’ REALmagic Xcard on the
same site which show it fitting in the Cubid case and that card looks
like this:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/images/xcard.jpg

The other one has Windows XP Pro (sorry) which I thought I'd try since
we're about to roll it out at work. Works very well as a client to the
FreeBSD server which I mainly use to run Apache, Samba, ISC-DHCP and
BIND which I use for file sharing and cgi programming. I also use it to
play^H^H^H^H research on and it normally has more services on than would
be good for a gateway so I keep it behind a firewall rather than run it
as a firewall.
The sound and graphics are more than adequate and the XP box will play
DVD's without dropping frames (no DVD in the 'server' box).

BTW I've no connection with mini-itx.com other than as a (satisfied)
customer - it was just a convenient site for the photos.

Hope this helps.

Steve.