Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:26:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Satanic logo

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:

> We have the "powered by" logo on our home page.  About once a
> month we get a query or complaint on the demon.  I basically know
> the origin, but is it officially documented somewhere, so we can
> point these folks to the "official" explanation of why we are
> using an OS with a devil mascot?
>
> Please, no flames on why these people are idiots and how we don't
> need their business.  We're just looking for answers.

Hi Cliff,

surely they _are_ idiots ;-)

I do love our daemon, Chuck. My ****big**** dream is that someone
will draw a sexy "daemonette" too ;-)

>From chapter 31 of the "Unix System Administration Handbook" by
Nemeth (a very good book) :

  The words "daemon" and "demon" both come from the same root, but
  "daemon" is an older form and its meaning is somewhat different. A
  daemon is an attendant spirit that influences one's character or
  personality. Daemons aren't minions of good or evil; they are
  creatures od independent thought and will. As a rule, UNIX systems
  seem to be infested with both daemons and demons.

One should hope that your visitors are able to understand irony.

Also, it is interesting to note that the world "daemon" was first
used at MIT for the CTSS OS, then it moved to Multics and after to
UNIX.

Cheers
Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' degli studi di Milano, Italy.
"This snakeskin jacket symbolizes my individuality
 and belief in personal freedom".