Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 21:27:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Berlin <root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP & pci bridged cards?

I took a look at that.
The 3940 is special because they cheat by including a pci bridge on the
card to handle the extra channel, instead of using some weird method.
So it's effectively an extra controller, AFAIK. IE the controllers
don't know they are on the same card,etc.
I'm doing this from memory
of what a friend at adaptec told me once.
the 2940 is single channel.
I haven't had time to delve to deeply into the source as to why it
happens, but it indeed only happens on 1.24 bioses (i only have access to
1.24,1.25,1.32 and 1.34).
I would rather figure out if it's adaptec's fault before trying to fix
something that ain't broke.
--Dan