Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:39:34 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Global / Cluster / Shared filesystem for FreeBSD?

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 08:56:29AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Speaking of filesytems :),  I have a real need for a global filesystem (o=
r=20
> shared fs, or clustered fs, or whatever), and my favorite OS doesn't have=
=20
> one (that I know of!).  I saw that a few years back a few people were=20
> working on getting GFS working on FreeBSD, but there's no recent mention =
of=20
> that. =20
> Is anyone working on this, or would someone like to work on it?  I am not=
=20
> much of a code guru, but I have the resources to test this technology und=
er=20
> all types of loads, and we are currently using a commercial software to=
=20
> handle my needs (polyserve - which they have flat out told me 'no' for=20
> FreeBSD support), but I would much prefer to be on FreeBSD.

If you've got money to throw at the problem, you might talk to Isilon
and Panasas.  Both build clustered storge solutions (you buy their
hardware) that happen to be based on FreeBSD.  They are currently
targeting Linux, but it might be fairly easy for them to support FreeBSD
given sufficent motivation.

-- Brooks

--=20

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW