Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: patch to have make clean not recurse in ${PORTSDIR}

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Maxime Henrion wrote:

> Currently, if you do a ``make clean'' in /usr/ports, it will recurse
> through each port's dependencies and clean them too.

	This has been discussed at great length on various lists. The two
answers to your question are, A) You can already do what you want to do,
with an option that allows you NOT to do it if for some reason you
actually WANT to repetitively clean dependencies, and B) The fastest way
to clean up your ports tree is not to use make at all, it's:

find /usr/ports -type d -name work -exec rm -r {} \;

Therefore, with all due respect, I think this patch is a step in the wrong
direction.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?