Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 08:08:03 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "lee z." <lee@bagu.dhs.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install handbook

--==_Exmh_760827418P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 11:42:26PM +0000, lee z. wrote:
> > 	Would you mind if I rewrite the supported hardware page so that
> > it's easier to navigate?  As an ordered list right now it's cumbersome.
> > Perhaps I could add some links, or menus, or tables, etc.
>
> We're certainly open for suggestions and contributions to make it easier
> to read.
>
> Can I suggest that you produce a few samples showing what a handful of
> entries would look like with any changes you want to make, so that we
> can discuss them before you go and spend a lot of time on this?

I'm probably getting ahead of things, so take these comments with a
proverbial grain of salt.

With RELNOTESng now committed to -CURRENT, I recommend that Lee take a
look at the supported hardware list there as well.  It's
(unintentionally) very similar in form to the hardware list in the
handbook, however it is more actively maintained.

Garrett Wollman commented that the format of RELNOTESng's supported
hardware list could stand some improvement, which I completely agree
with (it's too hard to browse because of its length, for starters).  He
also suggested a tabular format.  I think this is do-able, although
perhaps not in exactly the form he suggested.  More details in this
message: <200104241721.NAA97189@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>.

Eventually it'd be great if we could also further reduce duplication
between the Handbook and our release documentation, but I'm not sure
what's the best way to accomplish that either.

Just some food for thought.  I agree with Nik's suggestion of sending
out some samples for comments first.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_760827418P