Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 20:16:07 -0700
From:      Phil Taylor <phil@zipmail.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Drivers for Allied Telesyn Cards

I have seen that there are drivers in FBSD that support the AT-1700
cards based around the Fujitsu MB8696xA chips.

The AT-1500 uses the AMD PCNET ISA chip which has the id AM79C960KC.

I deal a lot with ATI and I think they are prepared to send me data on
the cards and hoepfully on the AMD chip.

What I would like to know is,

1. Does any body know whether the Fujitsu is much different
(functionally) from the AMD.

2. Has anyone got direct info on the AMD chip..

3. (and probably the most important) As this is my first attempt at
hacking FBSD drivers I will need as much help as I can get, I am a
reasonably accomplished C programmer including quite a bit of low
level programming under DOS, but this is my first REAL unix project,
so could someone please let me know at least the procedure for
submitting code and be prepared for a flood of eMails from me when it
doesn't work 8-)

I would really like to get into kernel/driver hacking and as I use a
lot of ATI kit it is in my interest to get it working.

Cheers

Phil

p.s. Yes I have tried the fe driver and had a look at if_fe.c, it
didn't detect the card and it seems that when the driver was written
there wasn't much info on the AT-1700, I can also try and get info on
this and tie up some of the loose ends in if_fe.c if this would be any use.
     Phil Taylor                                     Lan Systems
     phil@zipmail.co.uk                              150 London Road, Leicester
                                                     ENGLAND, LE2 1AN
     Network & Internet Consultancy                  Tel : +44 (0)116 255 9961
     Software & Hardware                             Fax : +44 (0)116 255 8861

     " Just because I'm Paranoid, Doesn't mean the world isn't out to get me "