Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:04:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz (Cejka Rudolf)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VESA module doesn't work with ATI Mach64 RagePro

It seems Cejka Rudolf wrote:

> Soren Schmidt wrote (1999/08/09):
>
> > It seems Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> > > There is a good possibility that the VESA BIOS extension for this card
> > > is provided in a DOS TSR program and the VESA BIOS entry in the ROM
> > > BIOS is just a stub.  Such implementation is allowed in the VESA spec.
>
> > Actually its because the ATI chip reports the modes as non-VGA modes,
> > which is correct (sortof), and our VESA code rejects those modeentries.
>
> Yes, thanks. Information reported by 0x4F01 function about any video
> mode has set MODE_NON_VGA attribute indeed. And now I have found DOS TSR
> program for VESA support...
>
> I hate VESA 2.0/3.0 specification :-( I hate ATI :-(

Well well, no need to be that excited, if you hack out the test, the
BIOS will willingly setup the modes that you get. And IIRC we can now
support linear framebuffers in graphics modes, so support should be
fairly easy to add..

> Is there any good AGP graphics card with full BIOS support in hardware?

Dunno, but chances are getting smaller every day, most vendors relies
on winblows drivers delivered with the cards nowadays..

-Søren