Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:51:56 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fontsize and dpi (was Re: Beta2: Nice job!)

--nextPart4852679.SK9IBhm26P

On Tuesday, 23. August 2005 15:52, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> I haven't seen any cases recently where the DPI was
> set correctly by default.=20

The key to DPMS-assisted dpi detection is putting

Option "DPMS"

into each Section "Monitor". If that still fails (and it really shouldn't(*=
),=20
one should grab the technical data page from the display handbook (or a=20
measuring tape) and feed X the physical size of the visible display like=20
this:

DisplaySize 300 240
             ^   ^
          width height in millimeters

again in Section "Monitor".

(*) Xorg/XFree86's configuration file parser however has very sophisticated=
=20
ways to shoot itself in the foot. For instance, I only recently spent about=
=20
an hour figuring out why someone's X' DPI didn't get set correctly although=
=20
X' own debug messages indicated that it had retrieved DPI data over DPMS=20
(after adding Options "DPMS" to the monitor sections). In the end it turned=
=20
out that there was no DefaultDepth line in Section "Screen" - X would start=
=20
anyway, in the highest depth available, but would set the DPI to an insane=
=20
value. This was with the 'nv' driver.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org