Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:22:44 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfs_enable vs zfs_load in loader.conf (but neither works)

"Using mountpoint=legacy seems a little conceptually challenged,
especially given that the description of a legacy mount is:"

not really as what is one of the 1st things the kernel does after it is
loaded with all its modules? It looks to mount the root filesystem. This is
something that happens outside zfs's control from what I understand so is a
legacy mount rather than a zfs controlled one. The bootfs property of a
pool is actually used by the zfsloader to locate the file system the
loader.conf etc is on. The loader may or may not choose to pass this
parameter through to the kernels environment, and its totally possible to
have / set to a different dataset than the bootfs option.

"How does mountpoint=legacy interact with importing the pool on another system,
or from a LiveCD, with " -o altroot=/mnt " ?  (A case where
mountpoint=/ works perfectly.)"

Its doesn't get mounted as its legacy, ie you have to mount the dataset
manually where ever you see fit

"And, finally, what would have to change to support a ZFS root filesystem
set as mountpoint=/ instead of mountpoint=legacy ?"

Why would you want to?