Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:12:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        "Jack B. Thompson" <jthom54792@centurytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS   INIT

Jack -

CVS needs to know where the root of its repository of files is.

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Jack B. Thompson wrote:

> I could use a little help on this one,  Trying to run cvs for first time and
> all I get is the following ,
>
> !ThompsonToys# cvs     (what I entered at command prompt)
>
> (RESPONSE)
> Usage: cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options-and-arguments]
>   where cvs-options are -q, -n, etc.
>     (specify --help-options for a list of options)
>   where command is add, admin, etc.
>     (specify --help-commands for a list of commands
>      or --help-synonyms for a list of command synonyms)
>   where command-options-and-arguments depend on the specific command
>     (specify -H followed by a command name for command-specific help)
>   Specify --help to receive this message
>
> ThompsonToys# cvs login
> cvs login: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
> cvs [login aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.

You can define the environmental 'CVSROOT' for your login shell, and/or
override that definion when you invoke CVS. For 'ordinary' user access to
a local repository:
 $ cvs -d <repository_path> <command> <command_options>

If you're working to a remote server the syntax is a bit different - check
with the CVS manager and read the 'Cederqvist' document at
'www.cvshome.org' for the full story. If you're setting up the server, you
will become _very_ familiar with this comprehensive, but not very
tutorial, document.

Note one of the oddities of CVS is that commands are parsed in order, and
in particular there is another use of the '-d' operator if it comes after
the <command> entry. That's not what's biting you here, however.

> I can usually get most things up and running after a bit of dappling,,This one
> has me most flustered,and could use a nudge in the right direction,,Any
> insights apprecited  Thanks ,jbt

HTH.
 - John Mills