Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:46:26 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error mounting /dev/acd0c on /dist installing 5.0-DP2

I'm trying to install 5.0-DP2 on an old PCI/ISA i386 machine.  It has
an IDE hard drive, an IDE CD-ROM, and a SCSI hard drive.  I'm
installing onto the SCSI drive.

The BIOS doesn't support booting from CD-ROM, so I'm installing via
the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppies.

The install process goes well through partitioning, disklabelling, and
the selection of things to install.  I select CD/DVD as the
installation media.  Alas, after newfs'ing the filesystems, I get an
error message popup in the installer that says:

  Error mounting /dev/acd0c on /dist: Operation not supported by device (19)

(I also got this error when hooking up a SCSI CD-ROM, except "acd0c"
was replaced with "cd0c".)

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I guess I'll try a minimal install via NFS... :-(

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa