Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Herrick Abba <habba@cs.newcastle.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD over dos

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Herrick Abba wrote:

> Is it possible to install FreeBSD in such a manner such that it
> "removes" the existing dos? ie. I would like a fully FreeBSD machine
> rather than have DOS and FreeBSD partitions. How does one do this?

Yes it is possible.

-Run fdisk one last time to put the entire disc into a single dos slice.
-Boot the install
-When partioning the disc, you will be asked, "Do you want to maintain
compatiblity for other OSes?"
-Say, "NO! I want my FreeBSD!" aloud.
-Then check the "No" box.
-Then read the "SCARY" <=== inside joke at my tech support job
-Ignore the "SCARY"
-The disc will be made 100% FreeBSD

Search the website for "dangerously dedicated" and you will get better
instructions.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html