Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:28:56 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>, Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burstable T1

At 08:22 PM 6/1/00 -0400, Jim Flowers wrote:
>Yes, burstable is one of those terms defined by the people who use it so,
>of course, it depends on your provider.  We use burstable T-1 to refer to
>both our wireless and wireline accounts.  We monitor usage and apply a
>filter to obtain a 5 minute average.  We discard an occasional peak and
>ignore others during off-peak hours to determine the billing rate to
>apply.  We counsel users to help them avoid high billings and, if
>requested by the customer we will place a bandwidth limit on his circuit
>to avoid overruns.

I was referring to the meaning ot the term, which has nothing to do with
what you are talking about. "burstable" implies that it "has the capability
to burst to" T1, which is patently wrong. The implication that an HDLC
frame is a "burst" is such an ignorant concept that its laughable. Nothing
in the term "burstable" even remotely implies averaging or anything of the
sort. Its as flagrantly wrong as CIR, "latency" and all of the other terms
used by the people running the internet that have no clue what they are
talking about.

Luckly for them the demand is so high you dont have to know what you're
talking about anymore. Techs at telcos seem dumbfounded when you talk about
CSU/DSUs providing clocking...they are totally ignorant of the technologies
that they earn a living supporting. Its beyond mind-boggling.

db

>This does mean that they share capacity with other users and the cost of
>Internet access and VPN service reflects that sharing.  Many of our
>customers would not find the Internet affordable without this type of
>service.
>
>The statistical multiplexing of TDM streams occurs throughout the
>Internet and is one of the reasons for the low cost to reach all the way
>around the world.  Want to pay for a full wired T-1 from here to India?
>
>It is interesting that quite good service can result, even at the 128KB
>level.  Companies doing occasional file transfers and responsible
>business browsing with 20 to 30 computers don't seem to have much of a
>problem staying within their desired bandwidth limits.
>
>When we review the graphs of the users and at several layers back we get
>a good idea of how the multiplexing works and what "natural" bandwidth
>limiting occurs due to tcp/ip operation.
>
>The response from your proposed ISP is worrisome.  If they calculate the
>way you suggest, it is not a good business model for them and therefore,
>I think it may be an answer given out too quickly by a sales agent.  If
>that's what it says in the contract, and the cost is reasonable - go for
>it.
>
>Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
>#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio
>
>On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Jan Knepper wrote:
>
>> What I understand from the docco is:
>> *    Burstable T1 is a T1
>> *    It comes in basic contracts as:
>>         * 0 - 128 Kbps sustained use
>>         * 128 - 156 Kbps sustained use
>>         * 256 - 384 Kbps sustained use
>>         * 384 - 512 Kbps sustained use
>>         * 512 - Kbps sustained use
>>
>> Calculation is done in such a way that the sustained use is being
determined. They
>> take the highest 5% of the top and charge you for what you used.
>>
>> I discussed a simple example with them. Suppose I have 1 hour a day 1.5
Mbps load
>> and the rest of the day nothing. This would means a sustained use of 1.5
Mbps / 24
>> hours for day is 64 Kbps per hour which would fall half way the 0 - 128
Kbps