Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2010 14:53:57 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Aftab Jahan Subedar <jahan@bol-online.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> I hope it doesn't sound impolite when I mention this, but why not
> give PC-BSD to novice users? Especially if an "out of the box"
> experience is needed, PC-BSD is fine, as it brings all possible
> stuff preinstalled and preconfigured. Still it's a real FreBSD
> under the hood, so no big "loss".

I don't have any problem with PC-BSD and maybe it's a good solution here.
It's just different enough in various ways from FreeBSD that I can't support
it easily.  At least that's been my impression from the few times I've tried
it.  Also it's had quirky bugs which made it more difficult to use, for
example the PC-BSD installer didn't display right on my widescreen monitor
even though my monitor was quite standard.  I had to find and hook up a
standard 4:3 which then worked(you can also pan in X if you remember the
keystrokes).  Maybe that's fixed now, but my experience with FreeBSD simply
makes it easier.

--
Adam Vande More