Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:27:29 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Josh Ockert <torstenvl@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: GPL vs BSD Licence

Ted Mittelstaedt said on Nov  1, 2004 at 21:03:45:

> > Most of us come from Linux
>
> That is a rather illogical view don't you think?  The majority of users
> of computers out there start out as Windows users, this is pretty well
> proven by innumerable marketing surveys.  Therefore it stands to reason
> that of the newbiews to FreeBSD that Windows users, not Linux users,
> are going to be the majority, purely because of the numbers.

Actually, I very much doubt that argument.  Most windows users have
never heard of FreeBSD and, even if they have encountered the name
somewhere, would not be motivated to go out and try it.  An increasing
number are getting interested in linux though.  It is linux users (and
users of other unix machines, dwindling in number) who may go out and
try FreeBSD, because they have a better appreciation of what it may
offer them.

It's like saying most people who listen to Schoenberg come from the
rock world rather than the classical music world, because there are so
many more rock music listeners than classical music listeners.

> Also I can't help but point out that my book covered the newbie
> coming into FreeBSD from WINDOWS not from LINUX.  I very much doubt
> it would have been accepted for publication if it had assumed newbies
> to FreeBSD came from Linux, not Windows.  Publishing is pretty much
> a numbers game.

That's a different matter...

Rahul