Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:24:34 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew@reilly.home>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, jkh@time.cdrom.com, fullermd@futuresouth.com, pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 11:20:11PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > What do you mean Jordan? A windows style registry? LDAP?
>
> If nothing else, it would be truly worthwhile to sit down with the
> schema information from Cisco, Ascend, Livingston, and others, and
> just go through FreeBSD to see if it can do everything and keeps all
> the relevent statistics, etc., that the schema's claim the other
> boxes can do.  It would be a heck of an easy process, and it would
> yield a list of places in FreeBSD where statistics should be kept
> and aren't being kept, as well as more than a handful of new features
> that probably wouldn't be that hard to implement.  8-).

Sorry for leaping into this late, (and consequently getting the
wrong people on the To: line), but what's the "90's" way of handling
the genuinely script-like things in /etc?  I can see how a unified
parameter/value store would be a great advance for most things,
but how do you do:

/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.foo, the script that is executed by the !bg
line at the bottom of your ppp.linkup file.

/etc/{daily,weekly,monthly}

?

--
Andrew