Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:07:51 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Lifebook Fujitsu-Siemens S6010 some iussues

I have upgraded my lifebook s6010 with a combo modem - wifi mini pci card:
http://edevice.fujitsu.com/fmd/en/products/w_lan/index.html the first one
on the top (MBH7WM01 part number)

FreeBSD 4.7 detect the wifi part nicely. The wi0 interface come up, even if
has a very low signal level (I tried to connect what I suppose is the
little antenna in either the slots in the upper left corner of the card
(you can see them in the picture). No joy... signal remain very very very
slow even if the Lifebook should be "ready" for this type of card and the
little antenna (which was previously connected to the mb itself even if I
have not the wifi before buying this card) should work better that any
normal pcmcia cards (an0 or wi0) I own, but is not true (the pcmcia cards
always get much higher value). The signal level of the card remain very
slow also in windows xp, even if it use the card at 11mb instead at 2mb of
FreeBSD.
Any hints on this ?

Another iussue is the modem. It is not detected by the ltmdm port.
It is an:
ATI3 - Lucent SoftModem Version 3.1.106
ATI4 - Built on 12/18/2001 17:42:45
ATI5 - 3.1.106, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27, 08
ATI7 - AMR Intel MB
Btw the modem was not detected also with the previous mini pci card I had
(not combo, only modem).
Any hints here too ?

Another, and last iussue, is the fact I am not able to use a VESA graphical
mode in console.
Any effort to make something more than 80 cols fails... I have put all the
relevant option in the kernel but no luck...
Anyone succeded in use these mode like VESA_800x600) on these notebooks ?

Thanks to everyone for attention.

P.s
Other things works well :-)
X run fine with VESA mode and it will have his driver in the next release
of Xfree
The internal LAN adapter is based on a relatek 8139 chipset, so no probs...
The controller can emulate a pcmcia classic slots and work fine.
The dvd/cdrw is correctly detected.

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.gufi.org/~gmarco