Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:26:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Subject:   Re: Donations.

On 05-Mar-98 Eivind Eklund wrote:

> My personal case: I want more input than I'd get working only on
> FreeBSD proper.  I'm not certain I'd do as good work on FreeBSD if I
> had to work only on that 'forever'.  But I still think being able to
> buy 6 months of people's time would be a Good Thing.

The only problem is our karnal nature.  Based on what we see so far, can
you imagine the mehem once core member X gets 30% of the budget for his/her
pet project, while developer Y gets nothing.

As much as I wanted to help and triggered much of this debate, I almost
regret doing it.  I think setting realistic goals and changing (some) of
the progress from ``I write what I please when I please'' to a plan layed
out by -core, setting achievable goals and finding colunteers to
participate in that effort, as subordinates rather than masters may move
some stuff that is stuck now.

I had a friend in another free software project that was involved in
building a communications sattelite for the Ham Radio operators.  He
fascinated me with the details of how the different disciplines corrdinated
to lift the thing into space and have it actually work.  I apologize for
forgetting your name, but you are probably listening...