Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:14:06 -0800
From:      "Jimi Thompson" <jimit@myrealbox.com>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TTL

This is an issue that we recently ran into at work and I wanted to mention
this since 5.0  isn't released yet.   I don't know if FreeBSD has addressed
this or not but thought it should be mentioned just in case.  We've
discovered that in many *nix OS's the TCP stack sets the default TTL for
packets to 30.  Apparently, IBM (AIX) had not and our research showed that
most of the other *nix OS's hadn't either.

With the increasing complexity of the internet, this is often a problem for
those who have large internal networks and/or live in Australia.  30 hops
often isn't enough to make to the core DNS.  It probably ought to be
extended to something more realistic.  The other numbers that I've seen used
64, 128, and 256.

Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed
by those who are dumber. - Plato