Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:19:15 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, sos@sos.freebsd.dk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building RAID systems

> Quoth Michael Smith on Thu, 24 July:
> :
> : Well, as I was saying, the 4GB ultra-SCSI IBM is AUD$533 (ex) here, or
> : US$373.  That's gotta count as "pretty cheap", hmm?
> :
>
> That is competetive -- although yet premium for capacity, I'm more
> than willing to pay that much for the performance.  I hope this price
> shows up in my searches soon!  So far the best price I've seen on this
> drive is $478.  I just found that because I did a search, prompted by
> your posting.  (Thanks!)

Thats an IBM DCAS 34330, right? Appears to be a darn nice drive. While
"only 5400 RPM" I mounted one on an SGI Indy and used dd to write gig in 1M
blocks. Got 7.8M/second. Same test with an ST15150N yeilded 6.3M/sec. Both
were fresh out of mkfs. Forgot to try the same test for reads. Now have 2
PowerMacs with the same drive, while my first one is still sitting next to
my FreeBSD system awaiting installation.

> Passing fair IDE controllers are mandatory (you pay for them whether
> you want them or not).  A decent SCSI controller is another $200,
> discretionary.

Search for SCSI controllers again. I found Asus PCI-SC875's for $112 on the
web. I've never used one but by all mentions on these lists one can't
hardly ask for a better SCSI card. Not sure if it comes with the UW SCSI
cable or not.

> So, suppose that I am starting from scratch...  I can add 6.4G to my
> system for $350, or else I can spend $30 + $200 + $478 = $708 and get
> 4.3G for my trouble.
>
> Now this equation does not apply to me personally, because I already
> have more than enough SCSI controllers to go around, but surely you
> can see how this argument can easily prove persuasive to the new
> system builder.

There's no accounting for PC buyer's tastes. One would spend out the nose
to get a Pentium-II but would be the squeakiest skinflint on disk storage.
And tape storage too.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net