Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:45:10 -0600
From:      Mark <markm@online.dct.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   more sound problems with 3.1

Well, thanks to Steve and Donald, I have managed to get sound detected, so
something shows up when I cat /dev/sndstat.  Now however, I have a rather
annoying problem: In my kernel config, I have:

controller pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0

and then, upon rebooting, at the kernel config screen, I type:

pnp 1 0 enable os port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1

doing this gets the sound driver found, but on *pcm1*, and then pcm0 is not
probed due to a drq conflict with pcm0.  So In the kernel config, I change
pcm0 to pcm1, and redo everything.  This time, *pcm2* is found, and pcm1 is
not probed due to a drq conflict.

all this would be fine, but any audio program I run can't find the audio
device, and I get the system error:

pcm0 not configured, maybe you want pcm1 ?

where pcm0 would be whatever is configured in the kernel, and pcm1 is where it
actually gets configured.

Anyone have a solution to this?  I'm rather close at getting sound but this
little anomoly is driving me up a wall...

thanks,

--
Mark Maurer   markm@dct.com    Programmer,  DCT Technologies
              mwmaurer@mtu.edu Senior,      Michigan Technological University