Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 23:25:34 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        "Mr Sean Batson A.C.P." <valtech@caribnet.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free();

Brandon Gillespie wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.960427160706.1984A-100000@tombstone.sunrem.com>:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:
> > The problem is addressed in 2.2 which a new malloc/free (phkmalloc),
> > but since Netscape is statically linked on BSDI's BSD/OS, we depend on
> > them having a non-leaking malloc... (AFAIK)

> Does phkmalloc actually give memory back to the OS, i.e. can a process
> which has a footprint of 7MB (both VM and actual) actually shrink in size?
> I have heard conflicting answers as to if this is even possible with
> unix..

I believe so. I all depends of course... if you malloc several hundred
70 byte chunks and then free one, you won't see a difference as you
will need to free at least one page before the OS can resuse it
(i.e. 4k on i386s).

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.