Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:52:40 +0100
From:      michael.grunewald@laposte.net (=?iso-8859-15?Q?Micha=EBl_Gr=FCnewald?=)
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /bin/sh Can one Easily Strip Path Name from $0?

Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu> writes:

> 	I am ashamed to admit that I have been writing shell
> scripts for about 15 years but this problem has me stumped. $0
> is the shell variable which contains the script name or at least
> what name is linked to the script. The string in $0 may or may
> not contain a path, depending upon how the script was called. It
> is easy to strip off the path if it is always there
>
> #! /bin/sh
> PROGNAME=3D`echo $0 |awk 'BEGIN{FS=3D"/"}{print $NF}'`
> echo $PROGNAME

As said by others, you can use `basename`. Apart from this, you can
fix your old habit by prepending a '/' before '$0', like this:

#! /bin/sh
PROGNAME=3D`echo /$0 |awk 'BEGIN{FS=3D"/"}{print $NF}'`
echo $PROGNAME

Last, you can also use variable expansions mechanisms by saying:

PROGNAME=3D"${0##*/}"

The main difference with `basename` way is that the latter do not call
a subprogram.

(If you are sure there is no space in your name, you can remove the
quotes, but are you sure?)

See `Parameter Expansion' in sh(1).
--=20
Best wishes,