Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 18:15:24 -0500
From:      "Kevin J. Kelly" <kjkelly@kjkelly.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems Recognizing and Mounting a Toshiba XM-3801B SCSI CD-ROM

I am having difficult getting a Toshiba XM-3801B SCSI CDROM (SCSI ID#5) to
work in my machine.  It is set up on a SCSI chain with a Plextor CDR (SCSI
ID#6).  The controller is an Adaptec 2940.

The Plextor CDR is /dev/cd1c; the Toshiba CD is /dev/cd0c.  cd1 is properly
detected upon boot, but the following error always occurs for cd0:
    cd0: Attempted to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
present
when there is a valid media in the drive (I know it's a valid media because
I can read it when I mount it under cd1).

cd1 seems to work perfectly well, although I haven't tried burning a CD from
it yet; but it can be mounted and read just fine.

If I try to mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0c /mnt/cd0, I receive a "device not
configured error" typically with an occasional "input/output error".

There are no other SCSI devices in the system.

Does anyone have any tips on what I should look for or what could cause a
problem like this?

Thank you,

Kevin J. Kelly