Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:42:45 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Rob Wilkinson <Chains@Ultranet.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation on a 486-2/66

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 00:13:20 -0700  Rob Wilkinson wrote:
 +------------------
 | I have a problem installing FreeBSD release 4.0 on my system.
 |
 | My System:
 | ^^^^^^^^^
 | 486 DX2/66
 | 8MB of RAM
 | ISA Western Digital 340MB hardrive
 | Motherboard: 452S (with VL-BUS)
 |
 | I have attempted to install FreeBSD many times but have been stopped at
 | the same problem.  Could you give me any insight as to why I would
 | have this problem?  Should i purchase the FreeBSD distribution CD
 | and install from there?
 |
 | Thanks,
 |     Rob
 +------------------

I'm interested to see that you are attempting to install FreeBSD on such
old hardware.  I have a few motherboards like that laying around and have
concidered using them as say dedicated home automation controlers.

I'm, assuming 4.0 install here.  I don't know if this was true of 3.3 or if
it is true of 3.5...
If you get to where the system is actually installing packages there are
F1 has the blue "dummies" scrieen that shows how far the processis and a
couple other bits of data.  F2 is a log of the output from the distribution
install and F4 is a root shell prompt.
You may get a better clue about what is breaking by watchcing F2 and poking
around with the shell on F4.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde