Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:11:03 +1000
From:      anubis <anubis357@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up my system

> You can use dump/tar to back up the actual data.
>
> You can use disklabel and fdisk to dump the current partition
> scheme to a text file prior to backing up.
>
> Then, if you needed to restore/rebuild from scratch, you could boot
> a CD (such as FreeSBIE) partition the new disk based on the
> disklabel/ fdisk dumps you made prior, then use restore/tar to
> restore the actual data.

These things above are essential.  I suggest for extra paranoia that
you keep a statically linked copy of the matching restore to the dump
you used to create the backup handy.  Sometimes Ill bzip up the dumps
so Ill keep a bzcat handy too.

I had a situation when trying to restore a dump made with a 5.1 dump
with a 5.0 restore.  There were multiple errors until I used the
right one.  Note that this could be coincidence or the malice of
inanimate objects and could never happen to you.  I prefer belts and
braces.

I also suggest that you do a practice run dumping a machine,
destroying it, then restoring it.  There is nothing worse when the
panic button has been pushed than realising that you dont know what
you are doing.  Remember your job and maybe the company is riding on
that restore working.