Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:19:17 -0400
From:      Michael Jaskowiak <skovian@interpath.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gated.conf file

Hello, Folks,

	I finally got a server configured as a DNS that works pretty good.
There were a few errors that I found after reading the examples that Kim
Neilsen sent me.  Now, I have a different problem.  I have added gated
from the 2.2.5 CD using the /stand/sysinstall menu.  It works as long as
I use my Windoze 95 computer to donnect from network to network.
However, if I use any of the FreeBSD 2.2.5 computers to donnect across a
network, nothing happens.  I can ping only certain computers yet I can
telnet to none of them.  If I use traceroute to see what happens, it
gets only as far as the gateway computer before returning no info.  This
happens even on the computers that I can ping.  It makes no difference
if I run gated from a command line or from /etc/rc.conf.  I am trying to
get from a 135.5.120.XXX class C network to a 223.147.37.xxx class C
network.  Below is a copt of the /etc/gated.conf file.  Thanks for your
wonderful help.

Michael

traceoptions "/var/tmp/gated.output" replace size 100k files 2 general ;

     rip yes {
      interface sl noripout noripin ;
      interface ed ripin ripout version 1 ;
      traceoptions route ;
     } ;

     kernel {
      traceoptions remnants request routes info interface ;
     } ;

     export proto rip interface ed {
             proto direct {
                     223.147.37 mask 255.255.255.0 metric 1; # SLIP
connections
             } ;
     } ;

     import proto rip interface ed {