Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 13:22:23 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Lawrence Mayer dsg <Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cheap mb for 21264?

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 12:22:12PM +0200, Lawrence Mayer dsg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there are any inexpensive (e.g. $100 price range) (new
> or used) motherboards available that support the alpha 21264 CPU in the
> 1GHz range?

I doubt there is a board anywhere near that price.
$100 is even cheap on the x86 market.
You even have problems to get a high class 21164 board in that range.

> I am a bit confused on the issue. I have read that the 21264 is pin
> compatible with the Athlon Socket A. Does that mean that every Athlon
> motherboard (such as an Athlon XP motherboard) automatically supports the
> 21264?

An x86 BIOS can never be used to startup anything else.
I don't know if they are pin compatible - at least they share enough in
common that it is possible for API to build a board based on AMDs
Athlon chipset.

In the low cost Alpha segment there is the UP1000 from API which is
supported by FreeBSD - I can't say if they support 1GHz CPUs.
It's more than just a board and far out of your price range.

AFAIK you still can get some OEM boards from Compaq.
I don't think they are much cheaper.

> I would greatly appreciate information and advice on this issue. I am
> trying to build an inexpensive alpha box for FreeBSD.

If you only want to have an alpha for non production use you might
go better with an used 21164 based system.
Carefully checkout for FreeBSD support before buying.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de