Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 15:08:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      garyh@agora.rdrop.com (Gary Hanson)
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need GENERIC driver [problem solved]

I said:
> } Problem: The NCR SCSI driver (ncr0) isn't included in the boot.flp file,

Yes, it _is_ included, but doesn't show up in a boot -c 'ls'.

Stefan said:
> Boot with -v and look for all PCI bus probe
> messages.

Excellent idea, but it never made it to the PCI probes, it hung before then.
When I opened up the box, I suddenly remembered that my soundblaster is
a Soundblaster SCSI, and the SCSI port cannot be disabled in hardware. I
don't use the SB SCSI, I use the NCR SCSI, and forgot about the SB. I
_had_ noticed that it'd probed an Adaptec on ISA, but since it also
detected my Intel EtherExpress as a Mitsumi CD, I figured (wrongly) that
the Adaptec was just another misprobe.

A bit of fiddling with boot -c, and it now comes up. Mea culpa, and thanks.

  --Gary