Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 14:01:54 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs exported FreeBSD cvs repository, mounted on client, update problems

> >Terry will pipe up now and try to get us to optimize the rare
> >case, but as any good engineer nows that penalizes the standard
> >case for the rare case is always a bad idea.
>
> I'm certainly not even going to try to speak for Terry (or anyone else
> but me).
>
> That said, I'll agree that optimizing for the rare case isn't generally
> appropriate, but ensuring that all cases (even rare ones) are handled
> *correctly*, is nearly always worthwhile.

When correctness involves human behavior, you can't optimize for it, nor
guarantee that it will always work.  In other words, trying to gain 100%
computer correctness is a bad thing when 5% of the time the
incorrectness is due to human error (and unavoidable given the current
resources) then it makes no sense to try to optimize any more past that
point.

Nate